Chainsaw: Felling Small Trees up to 380mm inc takedown of hung-up trees using hand tools
Who is the course for?
A course for novice operators with little or no experience of chainsaw felling, who are required to operate chainsaws for felling to guide bar length.
You will be taught how to safely fell a small tree, de-limb a tree and cross cut the trunk of a felled tree. The course is designed to prepare trainees for NPTC Level 2 award Unit CS31. You will need to have done a CS30 (cross cutting and maintenance) as a pre requisite.
The expected learning outcomes are that the trainee:
- Identifies the Risk Assessment and Emergency procedures on a work site
- Organises site safety and states the procedures required
- Assesses the trees to be felled for hazards and risks
- Fells trees which have a diameter less than the effective cutting length of the guide bar, Guide bar length not greater than 380mm (15″)
- Assesses a leaning tree and safest method of felling
- Make accurate felling cuts in the correct positions
- De-limb felled trees in a safe and methodical manner
- Cross-cut timber accurately to required lengths
- Assesses and explains the terms “tension” and “compression” in timber
- Adopts safe procedures to remove trapped guide bar
- Handle and stacks timber in a safe manner
- Assess a hung up tree and the safest method of take-down
- Selects and prepares equipment required for safe and effective take-down
- Check on the safety of take-down tools
- Make accurate severing cuts in the correct positions
- Selects and uses hand tools safely
- Take down hung up trees to a safe and stable position
- State all unsafe practices which must not be adopted
A non-assessed training course to prepare for CS31.
Duration: 2-3 days varying, depending on experience
2 day refresher for experienced operators who already hold an NPTC qualification or who can verify they have had minimum of 2 years’ experience.
Maximum of 4 trainees per course. Each candidate must have a chainsaw and PPE.
Certification gained: Lantra Certificate of Attendance. Successful completion of this course will prepare trainees for assessment for NPTC “Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw & Related Ops – Fell & Process Small Trees – CS 31
Click here to view our current fees.